The Friday Cheer selection for this week is Rivertown Brewing Company's seasonal Blueberry Lager. I'd been eyeballing this six pack for the last few weeks, alternating between curiosity about the taste and fear that it would be a total flop for me. Curiosity won out, as you can see. But I still had my doubts. I've had a few blueberry ales or lagers before (Buffalo Bill's and Wild Dog), none of which impressed me. To me, they lacked a distinctive blueberry flavor (though is it really going to taste good if there is a pronounced blueberry flavor in my beer?) as well as any other outstanding features. I've also been split on Rivertown's brews--some are excellent (Helles Lager, Oatmeal Stout, Winter Ale) and some have been miserable flops (Hefeweizen, Pumpkin Ale) on my palate.
| Love the packaging - a bluebird and blue berries! |
The description on the six pack is brief:
A light, crisp, clean lager beer with fresh blueberry aroma and flavor. A local favorite! 5.3% ABVThe brew looked enticing, with the classic pale gold color of a lager and a mild fruity aroma. Upon tasting, I was pleasantly surprised at the balance between crisp lager with a subtle blueberry flavor. It was delicious! Not sweet, not full of artificial blueberry flavor, and not overwhelmingly blueberry either. Way to go, Rivertown Brewing! Blueberry Lager is going to be part of my summer beer rotation, along with 21st Amendment Brewery's Hell or High Watermelon Wheat Beer. And I'm thinking of trying out a blueberry cake of some sort with it...
Happy Friday!
No comments:
Post a Comment