Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chinatown Salad from A Periodic Table

This is long overdue, seeing as this recipe was developed as a way to utilize your leftover Thanksgiving turkey.  By now, you've either polished that bird off, pawned all remnants on unsuspecting and/or gullible others (Guilty. I added my bag of turkey to Eric's bag of turkey. One day he'll realize and toss them. Until then, I am turkey free.), or decided the leftover scraps were old enough to move out of your refrigerator and in to your trash bin.

But!  But I tell you that while this salad is delicious with turkey or chicken, it is equally delicious without any meat.  Actually, I preferred it without meat, since I would scoot the turkey over to the side so I could load my fork with salad, fresh green beans, sweet red bell pepper and crunchy, savory peanuts.  That's where it is in this salad, friends.  It's the actual salad you want to eat, and that's a rare thing.



Without further ado, I give you A Periodic Table's recipe for Chinatown Turkey (or Chicken) Salad. It's a breeze to make, it's filling without weighing you down, it's not your typical daily salad, and it's absolutely delicious.  Make it already!!!


A few notes on my version of the salad...
--As I said, this salad is perfectly satisfying and delicious even without meat.  So if you don't have turkey or chicken breast lying around, try it without. 

--I prefer my salads to be as fresh as possible.  Since I was the only person eating this (until I urged my mother to try it), I reduced the total portions listed in the recipe and filled a large bowl with the ingredients.  Yes, it was a bit haphazard and perhaps my ratio of ingredients was off, but, yes, it was wonderful.  

--I'm a saucy lady. Meaning, I douse just about everything I eat in extra sauce, from chicken wings to french fries to salad.  Thankfully, the dressing recipe makes plenty.  I made and stored my dressing in a jar in the refrigerator, so all I had to do was assemble the salad and add dressing. 

--There aren't any bean sprouts in my salad here because a whole two days after purchasing them, my sprouts had sprouted and gone slimey. Not a good thing. But the salad was stupendous even without.



Between us, I'll make this salad quite often.  It's addictive and refreshing, as perfect for mid-winter as it is for mid-summer.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I did notice the turkey yesterday. And yes, I threw it out. Nice try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still counting it as a minor victory. Well played, sir.

      Delete
  2. What do i see in my Google Reader? MY SALAD as interpreted by you!!!! Big smiles across the face, i tell you. I'm so happy you loved it; i also ate it several times without the meat (we ran out of turkey, even though i still can't figure out how) and i found it just as satisfying. YAY! Oh i get so nervous when i know someone is trying a recipe, so it's a big relief to hear that you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liked is too pale a word. I LOVED it. I actually bought stuff to make more this week, without meat.

      Delete