Monday, March 25, 2013

This and That | March 2013

St. Patrick's Day...in food and drink.
If I can make something specifically for a holiday, like Irish soda bread for St. Pat's or pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, I'm going to go overboard.  And I'm going to love it.  Soda bread has been a St. Pat's tradition, as have car bomb shots, for several years.  The potatoes baked with dill and corned beef are a newer tradition, making an appearance last year and this year with approval from the boys.


whole wheat soda bread with raisins

Guinness sausages and onions cooked in stout

baked potatoes cooked with dill and corned beef
(well, actually pastrami...but close enough)

Great Lakes Brewing Company's
Conway's Irish Ale
A favorite tradition for St. Pat's

car bomb shots
my mini-beaker shot class was too light to sink to the bottom
so it floated on top of the thick Guinness foam


This cranberry dressing and these salad greens
My new found love of brussels sprouts led me to try a raw brussels sprouts salad...which wasn't quite my favorite.  But the dressing! Easy to make (just use your blender!), a beautiful color, and that perfect mix of tangy-sweet flavor. Even though I omitted the basil in the original recipe, I was quite happy with my dressing. I may have dipped apple slices meant for my salad into the dressing during assembly and loved it.

cranberry, honey, mustard dressing
make a batch in your blender and
store it in the fridge for a week or two

I'm not much of a salad person (yet).  But I've found myself eating a salad with these greens three times this week. They have a little more flavor and texture than your average iceberg or romaine lettuce, but they don't overwhelm with flavor.  When paired with the cranberry dressing and apple slices, it's so dang tasty.



A Penzy's Spices near my apartment?!?!
This means bad, bad things for my already overwhelmed spice shelf...  but good things for me! 

That sweet curry is destined for a curried carrot cupcake recipe.  The rest is just for fun...and because I can't resist.



A dinner party
Even though I was the one calling it a dinner "party" (it was just dinner), I was so excited to plan and make dinner for Eric's band.  It seemed like I wowed them, which felt pretty great.



Wedding things are moving along
My dress - check! 
(though no pictures until the big day, so I don't ruin the surprise for Eric.  He's been told my dress is multicolored, spangled and sparkly, with feathers, polka dots, and lots of ruffles!)

Save the Dates sent - check!

Linens, plates, chairs ordered for venue - check! 
(done while sipping mimosas and bloody mary's, thanks to Buckeye Vodka and Prime Time Party Rental!)

Bridesmaid's dresses - in process, but I'm going to give it a check!

My parents are even taking dancing lessons! How sweet!

Slowly moving my things in to Eric's house and organizing them in a way that works for both of us - in the process!  It's so much crazier than you'd expect! When did I accumulate so. much. stuff.?

Up next:
Photographer
Food tasting for reception venue
Meeting with the priest/church coordinator
Florist
Cake tastings!!! (I may be more than a bit excited about this one. I'm definitely going to employ Shannon's advice, asking for another taste because I just can't decide...)

4 comments:

  1. Look at you and your St. Patrick's day things! YUM! Since i was in florida at the time, i was lucky enough to have my grandmother bring over her mom's soda bread (still warm!) and the recipe, so i can make it for the blog. she puts magic in it, i'm almost certain; it's the best i've ever tasted.
    Brussels sprout salad? not for everyone, i agree, even if you love roasted Brussels sprouts. because it's not the same, and much more like cole slaw, imo.
    Penzey's!!! YES! i hate the drive to mine, but i still do it *worth it* what a great idea for a curried carrot cake! SMART, girl...smart.
    dinner party: which reminds me that i have an email to send to you...dang vacation! you make me forget EVERYTHING!
    great to hear all your wedding things are going well; you have so many of the big things done! Enjoy those food tastings and that cake tasting; i was unreasonably excited about those myself (good idea to use my method; just go with an empty stomach so you can take full advantage) I want to know your finalists! (if you can tell me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I was a few days late with the soda bread...but it HAD to be made. It's what I most anticipated for St. Pat's!

      And don't worry, I've officially overdone it with the raw brussels salad. But not that dressing. It's incredible on apple slices! Maybe I'm just a vinegar fanatic...

      Oh Penzy's...My wallet is totally doomed. You'd think I would've learned to resist buying more spices after the shelf holding them collapsed this winter. But I didn't learn my lesson. Oops. Now I just need to devise a new storage method...

      I am sooooo excited for food and cake tastings! Actually, I most excited about the cake tastings. I'm already making a list of bakeries to research and visit for tastings. You know I'm going to take detailed notes...and agonize over a decision. Luckily, Eric has ideas for 3 groom's cakes, so maybe I can sneak in another flavor??? Or maybe I just do a trial for my birthday cake! I'll totally share my tasting info - it's only nice!

      Delete
  2. Hah I also have a tendency to call my dinners "parties" - but I don't think there's anything wrong with that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I have a fellow spirit in dinner partying! It's just so much more exciting to think of it as a dinner party!

      Delete