Tuesday, December 28, 2010

holiday happenings & future plans

Lots to catch up on, so I'll try to give the abbreviated version!

One...I received one of my Christmas gifts early this year. Two weeks before Christmas, Eric surprised me with a gorgeous silver bracelet, complete with a few sparkly diamonds!!!! I was so stunned and touched by his gift! I absolutely had no idea what he was getting me for Christmas, but I really didn't expect this bracelet! Also, I immediately was afraid that I'd somehow lose or break this beautiful gift, but I've already worn it twice and will wear it so many more time (just not to work....). It makes me smile every time I think about it :) Nice work, Eric! hehehe!

Two...I passed my qualifier!!!!!! Hooray! I am finally free from that horrible monster that's plagued me for the past year! Now I have to do some serious catching up to get back into the lab and work towards producing publications and a thesis. It'll be somewhere between 2-4 years, I'm guessing, before I can hope for my degree and be free of grad school. Those years will be almost entirely lab work or writing.  I'm going to enjoy the qualifier-free life for a bit.  Maybe read papers every day or try to keep writing scientific stuff (like writing my literature review or something). Baby steps will still take me forward!

Three...I had an incredible Christmas break with my family and friends! I love spending time with my family and felt particularly fortunate that Eric was able to share some time with them. I wish I didn't have to go back to Cincy already. And I wanted to get a lot more baking done, but c'est la vie!

Four...I am finally getting over my head cold/sinus infection from before Christmas - hooray! I can breathe again! My poor head, however, is hurting with congestion. Hopefully I can get rid of this entirely and stay free from my usual winter illnesses, because I want to start training to run a 10k or a half marathon sometime later this year. Not because I like running! I want to prove to myself that I have the dedication, the determination, and the discipline to do this. And I want to stay healthy and, well, trim and in shape. And I don't want to be left behind by Eric as he's getting back into consistent serious running form! While I'll never be as fast as him or able to run as far, I still want to be able to go out running with him (on separate routes, at different paces) on the weekends.

Five...I have been to Red Carpet twice since I passed my qualifier! After 2-3 months of abstaining from this delightful Monday night ritual, I finally was able to join Eric and Manning for some much needed PBR and wings. Ohhhhh man, I needed their wings! And I even got my parents to come along one time! I think they had a blast!

Six...Some birthday's and holiday's are coming up (Eric's Bday, Megan's Bday, my dad's Bday, Moe's Bday, Valentine's Day) and I am already excited to start figuring out what I want to do for them!!!! Without this qualifier looming over me, I can dedicate time to my friends and family again!

Seven...I'm going to do a lot of informational reading about cooking, brewing, and photography. I claim these are among my hobbies, but I haven't actually read the books I bought about them (oops) nor have I actually delved into brewing and photography. I do cook and bake a lot (though much less in the past few months because of the qualifier), but I want to expand my culinary repetoire and knowledge.

Eight...It's almost New Year's! While I usually get somewhat stressed by figuring out what's going on for New Year's Eve (mainly because I freak out about having to drive somewhere for a party and I hate anyone driving that night), I look forward to having a new year/clean slate thing. I think it's because I love to plan...and the new year is ripe for planning all sorts of things. Right now, I'm making:

a workout plan (through the end of March),

a budget (well, updating the old one),

plans for upcoming bdays/holidays, plans to stay in touch with friends (yeah, I'm actually making a calender to ensure I call or write more often than I have),

plans for my project at school,

and, maybe, just maybe, some mini-vacations to visit friends or get away for a weekend


I hope you have the most wonderful new year, filled with happiness and love!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment