In honor of the double "holiday", I have two Friday Cheer recipes today.
The Baren Pear
from Barenjager Honey Liqueur
A delicious cocktail with a smooth and sweet taste. A word of warning, though; it didn't have the distinctive liquor taste, meaning it is dangerously drinkable.
| Finally, the end of my pear vodka! |
1 part Barenjager Honey Liquor
1 part pear vodka
3/4 part triple sec
1/2 part lemon juice
10 small mint leaves
1/2 part simple syrup (recipe below)
ice
Their instructions: Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add all ingredients to shaker. Shake vigorously for at least 45 seconds; you want to bruise the mint leaves to release their flavor. Strain into a martini glass and garnish with mint leaves and a citrus peel spiral.
I know it's odd, but we don't have real ice cubes in my apartment. Instead we have the plastic water-filled reusable ice cubes that don't seem conducive to shaking. So I have to get creative sometimes.
My instructions: Put lemon juice and mint leaves in the bottom of a sturdy glass. Gently bruise the mint leaves to release their oils, using a wooden spoon or a muddler. (Over-crushing the mint releases bitter flavors like chlorophyll into your drink, so stay gentle but firm!) Add the remaining ingredients and ice (or faux ice cubes), stir, and enjoy!
| Muddling mint and lemon in a glass |
| The Baren Pear, minus some plastic ice cubes |
To make simple syrup:
Combine equal parts granulated sugar and water in a saucepan. Over medium heat, stir the mixture occasionally until the sugar is fully dissolved. Turn off heat. Store your simple syrup in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. Each time I want to use it, I check to make sure the syrup is still clear (not cloudy or discolored), indicating bacteria or other undesireables aren't growing in it.
If you want to make a flavored simple syrup, simply put an herb (rosemary, mint) or other flavoring (cranberries, fresh ginger slices, pink peppercorns, cardamom, etc) into the saucepan after the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to low and hold there for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the syrup to cool with the flavoring agent in the syrup. Before storing, remove the flavoring agent with tongs or by pouring through a mesh strainer.
The Italian Pear Gimlet
Inspired by Martini's Modern Italian Restaurant in Columbus, Ohio
This drink was actually an error on my part. I'd seen the descriptions for two different cocktails on Martini's menu...and when I attempted to mix them at home, I mixed up an ingredient. It worked, though I would like to try the original version next time.
| Pretend there's some grapefruit juice in there too |
1/2 part Aperol liquor
1 part grapefruit juice
1/4 part lime juice
seltzer water or club soda to taste
Combine pear vodka, Aperol, and lime juice in either a shaker or glass and mix well. Pour into a glass filled with ice and add seltzer water or club soda to taste.
*The original recipe from Martini's used grapefruit-flavored vodka instead of pear vodka, which I haven't tried but imagine it would be very tasty.
| Wait for it... |
| Plastic ice cubes! |
Have a wonderful weekend! Enjoy the dual holiday! I know I will!
No comments:
Post a Comment