Friday, November 9, 2012

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

Friends, I've been holding out on you.  I've been enjoying pumpkin-laden baked goods and homemade pumpkin spice lattes for weeks now.  For failing to share my information, will you please forgive me?  Please?  I'll make it up to you, with recipes for everything, starting with pumpkin spice lattes.  All you have to make is a pumpkin spice mixture you store in the refrigerator, then you add warmed pumpkin spice mixture to your coffee each morning.

As a word of warning, the pumpkin spice mixture is far too easy to eat by the spoonful. You may also find yourself tipping the container of pumpkin spice mixture directly into your mouth.  I won't judge. I've already done it. Repeatedly.




Pumpkin Spice Latte
From A Farmgirl's Dabbles (get the original recipe here)
Makes enough pumpkin spice mixture for 7-8 homemade lattes

Ingredients for the pumpkin spice mixture:
1  15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
2 cups milk (preferably whole milk)
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg (preferably freshly grated, it's incomparable)
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. allspice

Ingredients for the pumpkin spice latte:
Approx. 1/2 cup of pumpkin spice mixture
Approx. 1 cup of strong, freshly brewed coffee
Whipped cream, cinnamon, dark chocolate shavings (optional)

Preparation for the pumpkin spice mixture:
Combine all the mixture ingredients in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds, until well mixed.  Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.




To prepare the pumpkin spice latte:
Brew approximately 1 cup of strong coffee. 

Stir or shake your refrigerated container of pumpkin spice mixture to redistribute the ingredients; they tend to separate.  Pour approximately 1/2 cup of pumpkin spice mixture (you can use more or less, depending on your preference) into a large mug.  Microwave for 20-40 seconds on high to warm the mixture. 

Add the freshly brewed coffee to the pumpkin spice mixture, stir, and enjoy!  If you're feeling fancy, add the whipped cream, cinnamon, and dark chocolate shavings.  

Note: the pumpkin spice mixture will settle out of the coffee, so give it a stir before every sip.


Warmed pumpkin spice mixture...

...with coffee added


Homemade pumpkin spice lattes have made these increasingly chilly and dark mornings far more bearable.  Plus I feel as if this homemade version is healthier than the highly caloric (but oh so delicious) Starbucks version.

Plenty more pumpkin recipes to come!

What is your favorite pumpkin dish?


4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!!! :) I love that mug too. Is it from Anthro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can't resist their beautiful dishes, though I've stopped myself (so far) from purchasing too many. They have new mugs out that I want. Oof.

      Delete
  2. i'd say i'll never forgive you for holding out on me for weeks when i could have been making pumpkin spice lattes at home, but i'd be lying. I forgive you already because now i have the recipe. yay!
    i can't resist Anthropologie either; typically a visit involves me going, cursing how everything is so expensive, trying to rationalize purchasing something, and leaving in a huff. then i devise ways to become famous and/or make more money so shopping at Anthro wouldn't be such a struggle. :) because they have suuuuuuch pretty stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew! You forgave me! And these are so darn easy to make for an entire week. I usually drink tea instead of coffee, but I've been lingering over a pumpkin spice latte the last few weeks, making the morning slightly more tolerable.

      And I am ever so familiar with your search-struggle-huff-exit activity in Anthro. It's identical to what I do there, though I spend most of my time ignoring the clothes and playing with the dishes and cookbooks. Becoming famous and/or wealthy would certainly make Anthro a happier place to visit! Until my boyfriend flipped out over the set of mismatched dishes I had. It's one of his pet peeves, so please don't tell him about my lovely mismatched Anthro collection!

      Delete