Apple cider is my fall and winter thing. It's the juice I choose to go with breakfast. Warmed up, it's a comforting dessert replacement (nothing can replace chocolate and ice cream, let's be real). With spiced rum or bourbon, its an easy seasonal cocktail. Made into caramels, a la Deb Perelman, it's a chewy, stick-to-your-teeth bit of heaven. So apple cider is inherently good. Particularly when using a quality apple cider that isn't sickly sweet (my favorite? Trader Joe's. Which is apparently off the shelves for the season. Cue my cries of despair.).
When I stumbled upon two cocktail recipes using apple cider, I had to try them. Yet more perfect and easy seasonal cocktails? Of course, I had to try them. And I was going to make it a battle. A cocktail walk-off, if you will. Spiced Caramel Apple Cocktail vs. Hot Caramel Apple Cider.
Fast forward to the epic conclusion....and the Spiced Caramel Apple Cocktail won by a landslide. It balanced adeptly between sweet and spicy, thanks to the use of ginger liqueur. Though I'll admit the Hot Caramel Apple Cider, with just a touch less sweetness, was a strong competitor. Either way, you won't lose.
Spiced Caramel Apple Cocktail
by Amy Tobin
Makes 1 drink
Ingredients:
2 oz. Domaine de Canton (ginger liqueur)
1 oz. caramel flavored vodka
3 oz. apple cider
dash lemon juice
Preparation:
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a martini glass.
If desired, crush a few gingersnaps into crumbs. Rim a glass with plain simple syrup or agave syrup, then dip into the crushed gingersnaps.
Notes:
--To my taste, an excellent balance of sweet (from the caramel vodka and from the cider) and spicy (from the ginger liqueur and the cider spices). Another good thing - it wasn't pow-in-your-face alcohol, which is still a bit too much for me. Yes, I love imbibing cocktails, but I'm still a bit of a wuss. I'm working my way up the ladder, right?
...versus...
Hot Caramel Apple Cider
from Amy Tobin
Makes 1 drink
Ingredients:
6 oz. apple cider
1-2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 tbsp. caramel syrup
1-2 oz. caramel flavored vodka
Preparation:
Combine cider, cinnamon, and caramel syrup in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the caramel is melted into the cider.
Remove from heat and stir the vodka in.
Notes:
--For my tastes, this drink was too sweet. Next time, I'd cut back on the caramel sauce or use plain vodka. Maybe add a pinch of fleur de sel or Maldon salt as a counterpoint.
--This would be a heck of a lot cozier served in a mug. Bonus points for a dollop of whipped cream.
No comments:
Post a Comment