Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Thoroughly Addicitive Apple and Cheddar Scones

I can admit to you that, as a youth, I did not like cheese.  I ate hamburgers, not cheeseburgers, even from McDonald's.  At family parties, I avoided those strange-smelling cubes of cheese as scrupulously as I avoided the raw veggie tray.  I bemoaned the stench of the blue cheese ever present on my mother's salads.  The only cheese format acceptable to my decidedly finicky (i.e. frustratingly picky) palate was thoroughly melted in either grilled cheeses or mac and cheese, which I maintained was only edible if it was made:  A) from the blue box and B) by my mother.  I can't even fathom how crazy and how annoying my food preferences must have been to my parents.  I apologize, Mom and Dad and all my relatives.  I'll make up for lost time, I promise!

Since my anti-cheese attitude lasted far too long (all the way through college), you can understand why I'd never tried the classic combination of apples + cheddar.  Never. Even as my interest in food and cooking developed, even as I was curious about all the flavors I'd never tasted, even as I started to eat cheese by itself, I still resisted apples + cheddar.  It must've been a remnant of my anti-cheese days.

Then I met Smitten Kitchen. Deb promised these apple and cheddar scones would be addictive.  Plus, I wasn't going to the extreme of having unmelted cheddar and apple...so it stood a better chance of success.

It turns out, these scones are addictive. Even if you've never had apple and cheddar before in your life.  They're addictive enough that you make a few batches in a row, because you can't get enough.  And you start to wonder if there are other combinations of apple and cheddar that could pass muster...  Perhaps a pie crust a la Alton Brown?



Apple and Cheddar Scones
from Smitten Kitchen (get the original recipe with Deb's marvelous writing and photography here
Makes 6 large scones, which are at their very best directly out of the oven and quite good for 1-2 days after.

Ingredients:
2 firm tart apples (I prefer Honeycrisp and Braeburn, which aren't exactly tart. Oh well.)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading dough
1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 1/2 tbsp. for sprinkling
1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt, plus a pinch for the egg wash
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (please shred your own, it is so worth it here) (white is recommended for aesthetics)
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs

Preparation:
Position a rack to the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees Farenheit.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Peel and core your apples, then cut into 1/16th-inch chunks.  Place in a single layer on the lined baking sheet and bake about 20 minutes, until they take on a little bit of light brown coloring and feel dry to the touch.  I know, this sounds finicky, but you're reducing the overall moisture content of the scone, so it will turn out crumbly and perfect instead of gloppy.  Gloppy doesn't sound good, does it?  So gently dry out your apples!



Meanwhile...
Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.  Sprinkle your chilled butter chunks on top and use either a pastry blender, forks, two knives, or your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture.  You want a shaggy consistency, with a few larger pieces of butter (pea-sized or smaller) and many more small pieces of butter.  I find it best to pinch a quantity of dry goods + butter between my fingers and thumb, then drag my thumb across the row of my fingers.  



Add the baked apple chunks, shredded cheddar, cream, and 1 egg to your shaggy flour + butter mixture.  Stir until just combined.  Don't overmix.


Generously flour your countertop and place your dough on top of it.  Sprinkle with more flour.  Using your hands to gently pat or a rolling pin to gently roll your dough out into a 6-inch circle, about 1 1/4-inches thick. Cut into 6 wedges and transfer each to a parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between scones.

Beat the remaining egg in a small bowl and brush on top of each scone.  Sprinkle liberally with granulated sugar; it'll bake into a crunchy crust.  Bake until firm and golden, about 30 minutes.  Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.  If you can wait that long.



Notes:
As I mentioned, these are at their absolute best directly out of the oven.  Well, if you can wait 10-15 minutes for them to cool a bit, that's probably better, but it will be challenging.  If you'd like to reheat your scone before enjoying, I'd suggest a toaster oven or oven to preserve the crisp crust of sugar and egg wash.

I've found that after 2 days, regardless of storage method, these scones lose a lot of their winning points - they're much less crunchy and their interiors are turning mushy (especially the apples).  So eat them quickly. And make more soon.

2 comments:

  1. INTERESTING: you never liked cheese as a kid? WOW. It's like my neighbor who hated pizza; you just don't hear about kids hating pizza or cheese. I get it if i think about it; cheese does have a little bit of a wonky texture and a smell, for sure. No judgement; you were probably better off, because you never damaged your body like the rest of us did by eating plastic Velveeta (I can't even stand the smell of it now, GROSS!)
    your scones look so pretty! You know, since you mention it, i was working on something this fall that never made it to the blog: it was a play on my cheddar pecan crackers. More specifically, a cheddar pecan crust for an apple tart. So...there are twists out there worth exploring. I could never get it just right, but i'm going to try again next fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit (okay, a huge) pain as a kid in the food department. I am so, so, SO grateful to have moved completely away from those attitudes and become a much more adventurous eater and cook. It's infinitely more fun, even with some major flops along the way. I'm still working on enjoying salad, watermelon, fish/seafood, and some leafy greens. I'll get there one day!

      A cheddar pecan crusted apple tart? Yes, please! I'll be eagerly awaiting fall for it's arrival! (check out Alton Brown for a free-form pie crust with cheddar - perhaps it can be a inspiration basis?)

      Congrats on the win, by the way! I'm so thrilled for you!

      Delete