Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pumpkin Beer Review

Last fall, I informed you of my intent to conduct a survey of pumpkin beers.  I was in search of The Perfect Pumpkin Beer, the one that captures fall in a bottle of brewed delight.

Well, I conducted this survey.  A quite extensive one, I'll admit.  I'm still drinking a few of those six packs now, trying to clear space for new brews.  If you'll forgive me the delay, here is my report on the Official Pumpkin Beer Survey 2012...

(I profusely apologize for taking so darn long to tell you about these beers. You may not be able to find them in stores at this time.  I took that long. Sorry!!!)

Let's start with big bottles...


Chatoe Rogue (or Rogue Farms)
First Growth Pumpkin Patch Ale
Rogue Brewery

Contains pumpkin, ginger, cloves, vanilla bean, cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg.

Obviously, I was attracted to the bright orange bottle like a moth to flame.  The fact that its made by Rogue, one heck of a delicious brewery out of Oregon, clinched my decision to buy a bottle. The label states the pumpkins were grown and picked from Rogue's farms and immediately processed into the brew.  It definitely had a POW-in-your-face flavor...but I'm not too sure that flavor was distinctly pumpkin and/or spice.  This might not be for everyone, but I still loved the brew and will be sure to enjoy a bottle (or two) next year.





Pumking
Southern Tier

Flavor notes from the brewery:  malty sweetness, vanilla, clove, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pie crust.

You've heard about Pumking from me many times before. It's my reigning favorite pumpkin beer, with a distinct pumpkin taste and a wallop of spices.  If I'm drinking a pumpkin beer, I want to know it's pumpkin and not some indeterminate lager that could be an Oktoberfest if I didn't read the label.

Pumking is not too heavy in the mouth or the stomach, but with more heft than a summery pilsner or lager. Perfect for fall.

I liked it so much, I went from the large bottle (which is the only way its sold) to the growler. Yes, indeed.


La Parcela No. 1 Pumpkin Ale
Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales 

The label reads: "packed with real pumpkin, hints of spice, and a gentle kiss of cocoa to liven the soul.

A pumpkin ale from Jolly Pumpkin? It has to be good, right? Plus it has cocoa flavor, and I love the combination of chocolate + pumpkin.  Alas, I was sorely disappointed.  Not much flavor of anything, despite the beautiful coppery orange color.  This probably won't make the list of contenders again. Bummer.


Fat Jack
Samuel Adams

A double pumpkin ale (28 lbs. of pumpkin per barrel) with classic pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice).  These flavors are deepened by an undercurrent of roasted malts.

Twice the pumpkin sounded awfully enticing.  While delicious, I didn't pick up a distinctly pumpkin flavor from Fat Jack.  At least no distinct in-your-face pumpkin flavor like Pumking.  So I'd drink Fat Jack again, but it isn't the champion pumpkin brew due to its lack of distinct pumpkin flavor.  Also, I'm loving this more specialty/seasonal/limited batch production by Samuel Adams as an alternative to their mass produced beers.   To be clear, I enjoy both, so I'm not a beer snob or hipster.


Let's move on to the six packs....


Harvest Pumpkin Ale
Samuel Adams

Contains roasted pumpkin (17 lbs. per barrel), deep roasted malts (including a smoked malt to add a distinctive smoked flavor), and traditional pumpkin pie spices.

Solid, but not distinctly pumpkin or spice.  Unlike many other pumpkin ales, this Sam Adams offering isn't too much spice.  It seems, to use the wise words of Goldilocks, just right.  It's not the champion pumpkin ale in my book, but it's one I may return to if pickings get slim in future searches.



Pumpkin Ale
Smuttynose Brewing Company

Contains pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.  Described by a review in the Wall Street Journal as "more spicy than spiced...Less aromatic than most, with more noticeable hops, it is not an obvious pumpkin beer, but not quite anything else."

I've become a huge fan of Smuttynose Brewing Company after trying their Old Brown Dog Ale and their Winter Ale.  So their pumpkin ale seemed like it'd be a serious contender.  Alas, it had no true pumpkin flavor, though I'd disagree with the Wall Street Journal review and say the hops weren't a strong flavor either.  Overall, a solid autumnal beer with a moderate amount of hops and some spices.  I'd drink it again, but it won't be in the running for pumpkin ale champion.

Pumpkin Ale
Kennebunkport Brewing Company

Described as a pale ale with hints of pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg...crisp and refreshing.

A late entry from the beer section at Trader Joe's, this pumpkin ale was just alright.  It seemed...lighter? less substantial? nearly identical to KBC's blueberry wheat beer from the summer (just a bit less fruit-sour)?  Even though I can't find the right word to describe it, I just wasn't impressed. There was no discernible pumpkin or spice taste, and it seemed muddled in flavor.  Not likely to revisit in the future, like most other KBC beers.  So sad...

Burgers and Beers:  The Great Pumpkin
A pumpkin beer sampling at The Party Source.  I'll keep it short here, we're almost done...

Post Road 
Brooklyn Brewery
Meh. Not much flavor here, either of pumpkin or spice. I'll pass.
(but they served it with a dollop of orange liquor infused whipped cream...and that was tasty!)

Ichabod
New Holland Brewing Company
A decent amount of flavor, but lacking in the distinctive pumpkin flavor.  Okay, but not a favorite.



Pumpkin Ale
St Ambroise
I flipped out over this pumpkin ale from a Canadian brewery about 4-5 years ago when it was at AleFest.  This year, I didn't so much as flip out as say "Okay. Maybe even good. But not noteworthy."  Has more of a pumpkin flavor than most, but it doesn't come through the spices and hops cleanly.

O'Fallon Brewery
Solid. Good pumpkin flavor (136 lbs of it, according to their website), an appropriate dose of spice, crisp...good work.  It didn't win top spot, but I'd happily drink it any fall.

Schlafly 
Introducing the runner-up in my unofficial (yet incredibly official) pumpkin beer survey 2012....Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale!  It has distinct flavors of pumpkin and spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves) balanced against each other.  Maybe a little extra pumpkin, to ensure those obsessed with pumpkin (ahem, me) would be happy.  A great fall brew to be enjoyed, and one I'll certainly be drinking as soon as I can get my paws on it.

And you've heard my opinion on Southern Tier's Pumking...(winner! pow-pumpkin-in-your-face!).

So that concludes my survey results.  Obviously, I love pumpkin beer.  Some more than others.  And I hope it's equally obvious that I'll be back in 2013 with a fresh review.  Any suggestions for what to try???


4 comments:

  1. Southern Tier's Pumpking is one of my all-time favorites!! I kind of sort of need to try that Rogue one, too! I consider myself an "expert" on pumpkin beers and haven't heard of that one yet, but I love Rogue brews in general!

    I don't want to say I can't wait for Autumn, but :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel ya, Sues. Autumn means a lot of things, but particularly pumpkin beer (and all other things pumpkin!). I can't wait for Pumking to return!

      I think I should find a spring or summer beer category for my next survey. What do you think? Irish stouts for spring? Wheat beers for summer? Maybe margaritas for summer... Ah, the choices!

      Delete
  2. My suggestion is to make a pumpkin beer float with vanilla (or even pumpkin!) ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius! It's going to happen when pumpkin beers return to stores. Oh man. Cinnamon ice cream might be a good choice too... Thank you!

      Delete