The return of fondue dinners with my roommate.
We bust out an electric fondue pot for the Trader Joe's fondue mix and assemble an assortment of dipping vehicles. This time, we've got toasted bread cubes (pumpernickel and sourdough), raw broccoli, and roasted brussels sprouts. Unsurprisingly, melted cheese made my initial taste of raw broccoli delicious. Cheese works its magic yet again.
Don't worry, the bunny isn't for dipping. He's supervising our fondue feast, spread across the coffee table that functions as our storage device/dining room table. Yup, we're heathens. But happy ones, at least!
Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout.
"A stout brewed with chocolate" is on its label. It's amazing. I must get another bottle (or four) very soon. Rich without being heavy, flavorful without being an in-your-face brew, I couldn't get enough of it. It's also easy and delicious to use in baked goods, like bread puddings or brownies or cupcakes.
More Apple Cheddar Scones.
I told you, they're thoroughly addictive. I can't have them enough, fresh out of the oven or for breakfast the following morning.
Cardamom Ice Cream.
As much as I am a loyal fan of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams (who makes a fantastic lime cardamom frozen yogurt, by the way), I've been loving this intensely cardamom ice cream from Three Twins. Equally cozy with chocolate or caramel sauce as it is with roasted fruit (especially roasted plums).
Pumpkin, Maple, Bacon, Pecan Oatmeal.
Yeah, I did it. I put bacon in my morning oats. And it was delicious. A salty-smoky-sweet flavor bomb. Just cook your favorite package of instant oatmeal with a mixture of pumpkin puree and milk, then top with cooked bacon, pecans, and a generous drizzle of real maple syrup. Wintry luxury that's good for you!
Spaghetti Squash, Black Bean, and Cotija Cheese Tacos.
From The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook.
Holy cow, I've never been more in love with a vegetable filled taco than I am for this. It's incredibly easy to make - just one night's prep offered 4 dinners' worth of food. And it's a welcome change from my usual spaghetti squash meal, where I top the squash with tomato sauce and pretend it's spaghetti.
Roast your spaghetti squash with chile powder and cayenne powder. Assemble your tacos (or, if you're me, on a giant sized chile tortilla from Trader Joe's. So good.) with roasted spaghetti squash, black beans from a can, cotija cheese, extra hot sauce (because you can never have too much), and lime juice. Make a hot mess over your plate and call it a night. Bonus points for a cold beer to wash it down.
girl, i'm dieting. i can't look at this post right now WE LOVE TOO MANY OF THE SAME THINGS. :)
ReplyDeletehaha, I'm sorry. But that's also awesome. Maybe we do live in the same brain-stomach fusion.
ReplyDeleteAt least the squash tacos are healthy...
And oatmeal is always good for you (it's just a tiny bit of bacon in the grand scheme of things)...
How have I not had cardamom ice cream yet?? Must change that ASAP! Also, I LOVE Southern Tier Beer and have never had a bad one! I went to visit the brewery a couple years ago and it was heaven!!
ReplyDeleteSues
I'm so jealous you went to Southern Tier! They're definitely a favorite of mine. Visiting breweries ought to happen more often (as in, ever) for me. This particular cardamom ice cream is awesome - totally recommend!
Delete