Thanks to Joy the Baker's post on BLT Corn Salad Wraps, I realized I did have a grill...of sorts. I have a gas stove, complete with a metal grate over each burner. It's basically a miniature grill! Hooray!!!
I know it's not a real grill, so I can't char some burgers or kebabs...but I can use it to char some veggies.
Game on, stove/grill. I will not be afraid of you!
(even though I
| There will be loud popping noises and explosions of individual kernels. Persevere. Charred corn is totally worth it. |
My all-time favorite potato salad involves golden potatoes, roasted corn, roasted red peppers, and a red wine vinegarette, heavy on the vinegar. Since I'm temporarily potato salad-ed out, I decided to make a super simple variation: roasted corn, cherry tomatoes, and red wine vinegarette.
Roasted Corn & Cherry Tomato Salad
Makes 2-3 servings
2 ears corn
Half a pint of cherry tomatoes
Lime juice
Red wine vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Smoked paprika (optional)
--If you're fortunate enough to have a grill, put the corn on the grill over a medium flame. Rotate frequently, until all sides are charred. If you don't have a grill and have a gas stove like me, use tongs to hold an ear of corn over a burner set at low-to-medium. You'll have to hold the corn in one spot for about 30-60 seconds. Lift it up to check for charring. Once you see char, rotate to the next section. It's a bit more effort and time, but trust me, the char is worth it.
--Once the corn has cooled enough to touch, cut the corn off the cob.
--Put the corn kernels and cherry tomatoes in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients to taste and stir.
Notes:
--I was going to add some chopped green onion, but freaked out about the green onion getting wilted and slimey during storage in the fridge. But I'm certain it would taste delicious.
--I personally love smoked paprika, but you can add what you'd like. Thyme, red pepper flakes, curry powder...go crazy.
--This recipe can easily be scaled up as well as adjusted to add in anything you might have around the house. Bacon comes to mind, thanks to Joy the Baker's recipe.
--I've also thrown this salad in a bowl with some cooked wheat berries, and, what do you know, that's darn delicious and nutritious.
Great idea for corn! Never would have thought of it before...
ReplyDeleteCool idea to use the stovetop as a grill!
ReplyDelete