Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday Cheer! Tropical Gin Sunrise (a la We Are Not Martha)

After a poorly made martini in college, I never thought I'd love to drink gin. College was not the glory days of my cocktail making skills.  There's a memorable concoction of Coke and cherry brandy (kirschwasser) - memorable strictly for how absolutely terrible it smelled and tasted.  Oof. 

Because of my repeated failure to make a drinkable cocktail throughout college, my cocktail crafting skills lay dormant for years. Six years, in fact. Though I did learn to make a mean Dark and Stormy in that time, I just didn't have any interest in cocktails.

Then I started reading food blogs. And was inspired to try my hand at making cocktails once again.  My first foray into the field was Sassy Radish's Rosemary-Gin Fizz.  I tackled two fears in one fell swoop - my distaste of gin and my inability to make a mixed drink.  I came away successful. Cocktail crafted, drink (or three) consumed. Repeatedly. I may have finished my roommates bottle of gin.  Oops. Thankfully she was glad I polished it off.  

In an effort to try new drinks involving gin, I made We Are Not Martha's Tropical Gin Sunrise.

Tropical Gin Sunrise
From We Are Not Martha (link to their recipe here)


I have Tanqueray on hand because its herbal notes work
so wonderfully for my favorite gin cocktail (more on that later).
You can substitute your favorite gin, though
I'd be wary of too strong of a flavor. Stick with herbal
or floral notes if possible.
Or swap in some rum or tequila. How's that for an idea?


Ingredients for 2 Drinks:
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup gin
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
4 tbsp. Framboise (raspberry) Lambic

Preparation:
Mix pineapple juice, gin, and lemon juice together.

Into a glass, put 2 tbsp. lambic, then pour half of the gin-and-juice (ha!) mixture over it. Enjoy!


I was too excited and mixed the lambic with the other
ingredients.  Alas, I missed the sunrise portion of the drink
but I still enjoyed its sweet, tart, and potent kick.

The drink is on the sweet side because of the pineapple juice and lambic, so I wasn't as big of a fan of it as my roommate was. She loved it, especially with some extra lambic in there.  I enjoyed the extra lambic sans cocktail. Oops. 

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment