Sunday, August 26, 2012

By the Book: Corn Soup with Orzo and Zucchini

Even with the modern marvels of farming and food storage/shipping  that allow us to enjoy fresh produce out of season, I still think corn tastes best in the summer. Maybe it's because I live near prime corn farmland with small corn fields growing even in suburbia.  Maybe it's because there are bins overflowing with fresh corn on the cob in its green husk in the produce section of every grocery store you visit this time of year.  Maybe it's that I seem to only grill corn (amazing, I swear) in the summer.

Whatever the reason, you should make this. It's a thick corn chowder topped with zucchini, orzo, and green onions.  It's simple and it's summery.


Corn Chowder with Zucchini and Orzo
from Everyday Food July/August 2012

Ingredients:
2 tbsp. unsalted butter (divided into 1 tbsp. portions)
1 medium zucchini, cut into half-moons
1 cup cooked orzo
1 bunch green onions/scallions, the white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
salt and pepper
3 cups corn kernals (about 4 ears), cobs reserved

Preparation:
Cook orzo according to box instructions.  Set aside when done.

In a saucepan over medium-high, melt 1 tbsp. butter.  Saute the white scallion slices until tender, about 3 minutes.  Add the corn kernals and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.  Add 3 cups of water and the corncobs.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the chowder thickens slightly, about 8-10 minutes.



While the corn cooks, melt 1 tbsp. butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and saute until crisp-tender (about 5 minutes).  Transfer to a bowl and mix with orzo and the green scallion slices.  Set aside.




When the chowder has thickened, turn off the heat and discard the corn cobs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Puree the chowder with a blender (work in batches) or with an immersion blender -- be careful since it's hot.

Top the chowder with the zucchini and orzo mixture before serving.



Note: I added a hefty dose of paprika and cumin as well as a few shakes of cayenne before blending.  What can I say, I just like playing with spices.  Play around too, if you'd like! I personally think this chowder needs a little extra flavor punch, and spices are the quick and easy route.  A diced jalapeno sauteed with the scallions and corn would be great too. Pickled jalapeno slices on top of a bowl of chowder sounds tasty as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment