Monday, August 13, 2012

I Love Jeni's

I cannot tell you how truly, deeply, madly I love Jeni Britton-Bauer and her ice cream.

It was love at first sight. And first taste.

Like any real relationship, we have our ups and downs.

The Ups:

  • almost every flavor is incredibly delicious and inventive
  • she adheres to the philosophy of locally- and seasonally-driven flavors
  • everything, from the shops to her cookbook, are a delight visually and in experience
  • there's always something new to try
  • have you had her ice cream? even better, have you tried her sundae combinations? ooohhh...
  • she's from Ohio. she loves Ohio. 


The Downs:

  • there aren't any scoop shops in Dayton or Cincinnati where I live
  • rarely there are flavors I don't quite enjoy. They're usually strongly floral and just too sweet for my preference
  • I can't clear out enough room in my apartment freezer to fit in the ice cream machine's bowl...so I haven't used Jeni's cook book often enough!



A recycleable bowl with three different flavors.
Grapefruit frozen yogurt (pink)
Wheatgrass, pear, and vinho verde sorbet (green, partially eaten, oops)
Sweet corn and black raspberry puree (pale yellow and juicy deep purple)

Jeni, if I could, I would move into your kitchen and be yours for all time.  I may eat my weight in ice cream/frozen yogurt/sorbet, but I promise to be highly productive and friendly. And I will continue to spread the word about your amazing creations.

If you haven't heard of Jeni from various food media sources, here's her website and here is her blog, Salty Caramel. They ship nationally and several stores nationwide carry a limited selection of her magical ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment