Through a combination of food magazines, food blogs, and roommates, I met sweet potatoes and fell utterly in love. Especially when roasted in the oven with spicy chipotle chile powder. It's so easy, so nutritious, and so flavorful, it's become a staple in my apartment, especially when served with curry ketchup or balsamic glaze.
Chipotle Sweet Potatoes
A spicy and versatile dish perfect year-round.
Ingredients:
2-3 medium sweet potatoes
Olive oil
Chipotle chile powder, to taste (I use about 1 tbsp. for 3 potatoes)
Pinch of cayenne chile powder
Kosher salt, to taste (I use just under 1 tsp. for 3 potatoes)
Preparation:
Heat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
Peel sweet potatoes and chop into roughly 1-inch cubes. Toss in enough olive oil to lightly coat (about 1 tbsp. for 2-3 potatoes). Sprinkle with chipotle chile powder, cayenne chile powder, and kosher salt. Toss to evenly coat the potatoes.
Bake until the potatoes are easily pierced by a knife, about 25-40 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes or so.
My favorite ways to eat chipotle sweet potatoes:
--As a side dish, served with a hefty dose of curry ketchup (Mix 1/2 tsp. red curry paste with a 1/2 tsp. water until it forms a slurry. Stir into 3-4 tbsp. ketchup.)
--Or drizzled with balsamic glaze
--Inside a soft corn tortilla with black beans, grated cheddar or monteray jack, pickled jalapeno slices, and plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
--Mixed with cooked quinoa and dried cranberries, with a splash of apple cider vinegar and olive oil
--I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect these would pair wonderfully with a raw kale salad, apple cider vinaigrette, and crunchy apple chunks.
Love love sweet potatoes and love them even MORE with chipotle :) These look perfect!
ReplyDeleteSues
Thanks! I make them a lot because chipotle + sweet potatoes is such a delicious combination.
Deletedo you know i never had sweet potatoes growing up? NEVER. I want to say that one of my aunts must have made the (at that time) obligatory sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving each year, but no one ate it. It's the only time i saw sweet potatoes, and i'm pretty sure those were the yams from the can. I discovered them maybe 5 years ago, and OH! the things you can do with a sweet potato. it's really glorious, right?
ReplyDeleteI love sweet potatoes with a hit of chipotle. Sometimes i do a sweet/spicy and add it to my vanilla bean ones...delicious! The flavors go so well together. Great call with the curry ketchup!
I'd never seen sweet potatoes at the dinner table until after college. The horror, right? It's funny how our parents shape our initial attitudes towards specific foods. For example, my mother loathes beets, liver, and brussels sprouts because her mother force-fed them to her children in less than tasty forms. So I never encountered them until I decided to seek them out on my own (except for liver. I'm not anywhere near there yet. If ever.).
ReplyDeleteVanilla bean? What else do you put with the vanilla bean? I'm intrigued and sense a must-try-this formula....
Thank Germany and Belgium for curry ketchup. I was obsessed with it and with currywurst when we took a trip over there. Ohhhh so tasty!