Friday, January 11, 2013

Jalapeno Parsley Sour Martini | from WANM

Here's something totally different.  It's not a traditional holiday flavor.  It's not even a typical winter flavor.  I just needed to change things up and temporarily break away from all the warmth and coziness of winter.  We Are Not Martha's Jalapeno Parsley Sour Martini did just that, setting me free from spice, earthiness, and that inexplicable heaviness we feel each winter.  Or maybe that's all the layers of clothing I bundle in to keep warm. Either way, this cocktail is easy, delicious, and an excellent change from the norm.

Bonus: The leftover jalapeno syrup is great drizzled over cornbread, crostini with goat cheese or ricotta, or brushed onto chicken wings.




Jalapeno Parsley Sour Martini
from We Are Not Martha (get the original recipe here)
Makes 2 drinks

Ingredients:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
2 jalapenos, sliced (deseeded if less heat is desired)
1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley
4 oz. lemon juice
2 oz. lime juice
6 oz. unflavored vodka



Preparation:
Make the jalapeno simple syrup. Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over high heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved.  Add the jalapeno slices, drop heat to low, and simmer for 5-7 minutes.  Strain the syrup into a container.  You can store leftover syrup in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks.

Note: If you're not a fan of spicy heat, you'll want to deseed the jalapeno peppers first.  Do this by cutting  the jalapeno in half lengthwise, then trimming away the seeds and the white rib the seeds stick to.  All you want is green jalapeno.  Cut the deseeded, de-ribbed jalapeno into 1/2 inch chunks and use in the simple syrup recipe.



Make the cocktail. Put the parsley, lemon juice, and lime juice in a glass or cocktail shaker.  Muddle the ingredients together gently, so that the parsley is only lightly bruised.

I was a bit creative since I didn't use a cocktail shaker and wanted to enjoy my drink from a martini glass.  I muddled the parsley and juices in a small glass ramekin with a wooden muddler, then transferred the liquid to a martini glass. 



Add the vodka and about 4 oz. of the jalapeno simple syrup.  Stir or shake to combine, then pour into your martini glass.  Cheers!




What's your favorite out of the ordinary drink?

4 comments:

  1. He-LLO! i love strange-flavored drinks; or i suppose i should say "adventurously flavored" drinks, because i mean that in a good way. how awesome is this! also, i like the idea of having leftover jalapeno syrup...i could do something with that, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had this grand idea of making my own jalapeno simple syrup-based glaze for oven baked chicken wings.....but utterly failed to make that happen. Next time, I suppose. The idea is still badgering me. The cornbread one is spectacular, though!

      Delete
  2. Yay! I've been obsessed with the jalapeno syrup and seriously make a batch every week to experiment with. So far, drinks are most definitely the best. I'm glad you enjoyed it:)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm constantly inspired by your recipes, especially the drinks!

      Delete