Sunday, August 5, 2012

I Love The Savory Fig

I'm determined to like fresh figs.  I love dried figs. I love Fig Newtons. But I haven't quite come to adore fresh figs with the same fervor.

I've tried them fresh with Greek yogurt or ricotta cheese and honey. Oof. Way too fresh.
I've tried them sauteed with butter and browns sugar. Meh, too soft.
I've tried them baked with ricotta cheese and honey. Too much of the same texture and not enough flavor.
I've tried them baked with balsalmic vinegar and honey.  Good, but not great.

The only way I've loved fresh figs is when they're stuffed with goat cheese and grilled with bacon wrapped around their drop-like form. It's smoky, creamy, sweet perfection.

When I saw a huge carton of plump fresh figs on sale at the store, I couldn't resist the challenge they issued.  And after a little research, I had a candidate recipe to try.  I will openly admit I didn't think I would like it...but I was utterly and deliciously wrong.  I love it. Even as leftovers.

Figs, I believe I love you in both your fresh and dried forms.  We'll just keep it savory when you're fresh.

Fig Tart with Carmelized Onions and Goat Cheese
from Sassy Radish (get the original recipe here )



*A few thoughts from me...
--I swapped the originally suggested Stilton cheese for goat cheese.  I swoon over the texture of oven-warmed goat cheese -- creamy, tangy and ever so slightly melty. If you like blue cheese or Brie, I bet either would work well here too.

--I recommend having the onions, figs, cheese, and pine nuts prepared for tart assembly before you begin to play with your puff pastry, which is prone to drying out very quickly.

--I used 1 of the 2 rolls of puff pastry that come in a box.  I buy them frozen, but popped the roll of puff pastry in the refrigerator the night before I made the tart. 

--I had a difficult time rolling the puff pastry out. So I don't think I reached the suggested dimensions of 9 by 12 inches.  But it still worked.

--This recipe makes a rather large tart. I stored leftovers between layers of wax paper in the refrigerator.  Warming them up in a 300 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes makes the crust nice and crispy again.  







Are there any foods you want to love?

2 comments:

  1. I tend to like figs in sweeter preparations but these do sound great! I want to like olives but I really don't :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we have opposite fig issues! If you have any recommendations for sweet fig dishes, I'd love to try them. I still have hope! And I'm really only a fan of Kalamata olives, though that took awhile to happen.

      Delete