Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Lavender and Honey Lemonade

I probably should've told you about this sooner.  You see, summer is wrapping up and we're all eager to move onto fall things, like cozy sweaters, steaming hot drinks, spice cakes, and every possible permutation of food + pumpkin you could imagine (my favorite? pumpkin ice cream).

But I want summer to stay awhile, and it's not just for the extra hours of daylight and the feel of sunshine on my skin (though those are quite excellent reasons on their own).  It's for this lemonade.  Everything about it just...well...glows summer.  Yes, I said it. It glows.  See below for proof.

It also refreshes and rejuvenates, which is very much needed in the summer. It's elegant enough to serve at a fancy garden party, should you happen to do those sorts of things.  Yet it's relaxed enough for a family dinner or a night sitting on the patio, wrapped in a blanket.

This might be one of those things I make mid-winter, when I'm longing for summer and forgotten what it's like to be warm.

Please forgive me for not sharing this with you sooner, but I hope you find it worth the wait.

Lavender and Honey Lemonade
from Joy the Baker (get the original recipe here )
Makes enough for 1 large pitcher

You'll make a lavender-honey simple syrup you can store in the refrigerator.  When ready to serve, just mix the syrup with lemon juice and water for a fantastic drink.

Lavender-honey syrup

Ingredients:
2 cups water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup honey
3 heaping tbsp. dried culinary lavender
2 cups fresh lemon juice
4 cups (or more) water, to taste

Preparation:
Make the syrup:
In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups water and the sugar.  Over medium heat, bring to a boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and stir in the honey and lavender.  Cover the saucepan and let steep for 15-20 minutes.  Pour the syrup through a mesh strainer, pressing the lavender trapped in the strainer to release as much liquid as possible.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.

Make the lemonade:
In a large pitcher, combine all of the syrup and lemon juice.  Add water to taste.  If you're adding ice cubes, remember to add less water so the ice melting does not dilute your lemonade.  Stir well, chill, and enjoy.

Lavender lemonade

1 comment:

  1. This lemonade recipe sounds fantastic! I love the addition of honey.

    ReplyDelete