One recipe, however, had potential. A link to a link to yet another link led me to Strawberry Malted Pancakes. I had malt powder (hard as a rock from disuse), I had strawberries, and--hooray!--it called for whole oats!
These pancakes hit the spot. And the next few days saw me eating them cold, directly out of the refrigerator. So you know it's good. And I won't hold out on you.
Strawberry Malted Pancakes
From The Spiffy Cookie via Rachel Cook's 31 Days of Pancakes
Makes approximately 1 dozen pancakes
Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup ground old fashioned oats*
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup malted milk powder
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
*I must have wanted pancakes with whole oats so badly, I failed to read the word "ground" and skipped the grinding part. But my pancakes turned out quite well.
Preparation:
In a large bowl, use an electric hand mixer (or a whisk and the power of your marvelous arms) to beat the eggs and milk on high until light and foamy, about 3 minutes. Stir in the melted butter.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, salt, baking powder, and malted milk powder. Gently mix the egg and milk mixture into the dry ingredient mixture. Fold in 1 cup of the strawberries and let the batter rest for 15 minutes so it can thicken slightly.
Heat a non-stick pan or griddle over medium heat. Melt a tiny bit of butter in the pan and drop 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the pan. When bubbles are visible on the top of each pancake (which will take about 2 minutes), flip the pancake over and cook on the other side for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. Serve with remaining strawberries and syrup or whipped cream.
No comments:
Post a Comment