We've changed a lot in the intervening years. I don't do nearly as many activities. Okay, I don't do any of those activities, though I try to get myself to the gym most weekdays. Weeknights can still be a struggle to get a quick, healthy meal on the table. Since I'm responsible for feeding myself and since grilled cheese are apparently not appropriate for dinner every day, I'm constantly looking for quick, easy, healthy, and delicious dinners.
Inspiration came from Cookie + Kate's blog. An impromptu pizza made from flatbread, ricotta, and stone fruits. It's healthy and it's incredibly easy. It's even a welcome change from grilled cheese.
Peach and Plum Ricotta Flatbread
Barely adapted from Cookie + Kate (get the original recipe here or go even farther back and get this recipe that inspired it)
Makes one pizza
Ingredients:
1 flatbread, naan bread, or pita bread
1/3 cup ricotta cheese
1 ripe nectarine or peach, sliced into wedges
1 ripe plum, sliced into wedges
A few basil or mint leaves
Balsamic glaze
Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Farenheit. Spread the ricotta cheese across one side of the bread, leaving about a 1/2 inch around the edges. Place the bread on a baking sheet and top with peach and plum slices. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Before serving, sprinkle basil or mint leaves on top and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Notes:
--I love a super-thin whole wheat pita bread for this. To me, whole wheat just feels like I've been healthy...so I can have some dessert. (is that not how things work?) Plus the faint nutty taste of toasted whole grains complements a lot of sweet and savory dishes. But go with what you like here. This recipe is very open to adaptation. If you want to go fully savory, try a garlic naan, ricotta, zucchini, and red pepper.
--Trader Joe's sells a fantastic balsamic glaze in a bottle. Or you can make your own by bringing 1 cup balsamic vinegar to boil in a saucepan. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the volume is reduced by half, stirring frequently. Allow the reduction to cool and store in an airtight container in the pantry or refrigerator
| Mint, plums, peaches, and balsamic atop ricotta and whole wheat flat bread. |
ashley! this flatbread pizza makes me happy. i made a salad similar to this this past summer, and i crave it still, because it was so delicious. I'm the same way with dinners and lunches: if i don't have something fast to make that's satisfying, i'm in trouble. i'm putting this on my list to make before all my peaches and plums disappear.
ReplyDelete