Sunday, September 30, 2012

Succumb to the Pumpkin Frenzy

I tried to resist the temptation of pumpkin until October.  I really tried. Okay, I didn't try all that hard after a week of seeing amazing pumpkin recipes and having pumpkin-laced everything shoved in my face by stores. Pumpkin, I love you and welcome you back with open arms. We're going to have an intense relationship through at least February. 

So on what would have been my last day of pumpkin resistance, I'm sharing the ways I've given up to pumpkin before October 1st.

Pumpkin Spice Tea from The Republic of Tea
My favorite brand of tea struck hard and fast with this product.  Black tea with pumpkin flavor and warming spices.  Even though the pumpkin flavor is subtle (and I'm quite content with a strong punch of pumpkin), the spice flavor and warmth of tea make this a quick autumnal favorite.



Pumpkin Ale Tasting at The Party Source
We've been loving the various Burgers and Beers tasting events all summer long. It's an inexpensive and fun change from the normal weeknight routine.  We sit on the patio of The Party Source, tasting several beers and devouring a gourmet hamburger with an ever-changing set of hamburger accouterments.

Last night's B&B was Pumpkin Ales. I'd been looking forward to it for months, since I initially read over the schedule.  And it didn't disappoint in the slightest.  


Brooklyn Brewery's Post Road was served with orange flavored, vodka-infused whipped cream. My first exposure to the vodka-infused whipped cream...and not bad. And since my roommate won a can of the whipped cream, I'm looking forward to using it on waffles, crepes, and hot chocolate. Yes, please!  

St. Ambroise, from Canada, had previously been one of my favorite pumpkin ales, along with Buffalo Bill Brewery's.  They're both ales with a good amount of spice and a definite hint of pumpkin. But as I said before, I'd rather be walloped with pumpkin, so my new favorites are O'Fallon Brewery's pumpkin ale and Schlafly Brewery's pumpkin ale, both from Missouri.  


My newly crowned number one pumpkin ale?  Southern Tier's Pumking.  With a strong, definitive pumpkin taste and a lighter dose of spices, this is my favorite. The aftertaste is almost sweet and very mildly earthy and there aren't any molasses flavors.  Don't get me wrong, I love molasses and caramel notes in brews, but here pumpkin is king. (ha, see what I did there?)

I loved Pumking so much, I bought a growler of it. Delight in a jug, I say. Check out their website for more specific info on Pumpking . 






















Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bake one of the six pumpkin recipes I've earmarked.  It's Brittany's Vegan Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.  Soon to be followed by chai-iced pumpkin cookies, homemade pumpkin spice lattes (I very much did a dance of joy when I saw this recipe. Real pumpkin in my coffee??? Yes!), sweet-and-savory pumpkin bites with sage, and pumpkin milkshakes.  Oh, so much pumpkin to eat, so little time!!!

What's your favorite pumpkin recipe?


4 comments:

  1. for the record, i didn't try at ALL to resist diving into pumpkin spice things this year. NOT. ONE. BIT.
    i'm so happy about this pumpkin spice tea! i've never seen it, and i love Republic of Tea things...it's on the list for things to look for next grocery trip, because i'd drink that all the time. and look at you with the pumpkiny beers! Always delicious; you know O'fallon and Schlafly are right here in my backyard (not literally, i don't have beer in my yard at the moment, but the breweries reside where i do). :)
    i'm happy you're as excited for pumpkin as i am; you're right, there's far too many choices to fit into such a small amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous you're next-door-neighbors with O'Fallon and Schlafly! The Republic of Tea has another seasonal out - Apple Cider Tea. It's caffeine-free, so it's perfect for a late night cup to warm up. My stack of recipes involving pumpkin is insane and growing by the day. I think I stand a real risk of turning orange from overdosing with beta-carotene. Whatever, it's delicious, I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I NEED to find that tea!! And Pumpking is one of my all-time fave pumpkin beers, too :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All hail Pumking, undisputed leader of pumpkin ales! Seriously, though, I just went to The Republic of Tea's website for the first time. You can buy their teas (so many more than I knew existed!). This is going to be very, very dangerous for me and my tea addiction....

      Delete